What advantages does the DWP offer? Complete list of payment options available from the government

The Department for Work and Pensions is the UK’s largest public service department with around 20 million claimants and customers.

It is responsible for a wide range of tasks, such as We are responsible for addressing the causes of poverty, encouraging people to work, and providing a decent income for people of retirement age.

The department also offers a wide range of benefits to millions of people from Universa, from credit to the lesser-known cold weather payment.

READ MORE: Leader of Somerset Council survives new confidence vote on Clare Pestell saga

A list of benefits offered can be found below:

Payment for winter fuel

If you were born on or before September 26, 1955, you could get between £100 and £300 to help pay your heating bills. This is called a “winter fuel payment”.

You will automatically receive your winter fuel payment (you do not need to claim it) if you are eligible and either:

READ MORE: Somerset’s cleanest beaches to enjoy this spring

1. Get the state pension

2. Get another social security benefit (no housing benefit, municipal tax cut, child benefit or universal credit)

Payment in cold weather

You can get a cold weather payment if you have certain benefits or mortgage interest support.

You will receive a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded or forecast at or below zero degrees Celsius for 7 consecutive days.

You will receive £25 for every 7 days of very cold weather between November 1 and March 31.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help cover your living expenses. It is paid monthly – or twice a month for some people in Scotland.

You may be able to get it if you have a low income, are unemployed, or cannot work.

Universal Credit has been phased in to replace six other benefits, namely:

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Child tax credit
  • Housing allowance
  • Income support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) based on income
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Work Tax Credit

If you are employed, the amount of Universal Credit you will get will depend on your income. Your Universal Credit payment will gradually decrease as you earn more – for every pound you earn, your payment is reduced by 55p.

There is no limit to the number of hours you can work.

You can use a benefits calculator to see how increasing your hours or starting a new job might affect what you get.

Pension credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help cover your living expenses if you are over retirement age and have a low income. Pension credit can also help cover housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

READ MORE: Community gathers at Nailsea in solidarity with Ukraine

You can get extra help if you are a carer, severely disabled or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension credit is separate from your state pension.

You can get a pension credit even if you have other income, savings, or own your own home.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help cover additional living expenses if you have both:

1. A physical or mental health problem or long-term disability

2. Difficulty performing certain daily tasks or getting around because of your condition

You can get PIP even if you work, have savings, or get most other benefits.

How PIP Works

There are 2 parts to the PIP:

1. Part of everyday life – if you need help with daily tasks

2. A mobility part – if you need help getting around

Whether you get one or both parts and how much you get depends on how hard you find daily tasks and move around.

READ MORE: Nine Somerset felons jailed in 2022 for horrific crimes

Care allowance

You could get £67.60 a week if you look after someone at least 35 hours a week and they get some benefits.

You do not have to be related to or live with the person you are caring for.

You are not paid extra if you take care of more than one person.

If someone else also takes care of the same person as you, only one of you can apply for care allowance.

Attendance allowance

Attendance allowance helps to cover additional costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to look after you.

It is paid at 2 different rates and the amount you get depends on the level of care you need due to your disability.

You could get £60 or £89.60 a week to help with personal support if you are both:

1. Physically or mentally handicapped

2. Legal retirement age or above

It does not cover mobility needs. The other benefits you receive may increase if you receive Attendance Allowance.

READ MORE: Cash and gold jewelery stolen from Cheddar home as police issue appeal

Disabled allowance

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people with disabilities.

You can only apply for DLA if you are under 16. You can ask :

  • PIP if you are 16 or over and have not reached the legal retirement age
  • Attendance allowance if you are of state pension age or older and do not get DLA

Want our top stories with fewer ads and alerts when the biggest news drops? Download our app at iPhone Where android

READ MORE: We try the Somerset French cafe that rivals anything in Paris

READ MORE: A historic 150-year-old hotel in Somerset is on the market